Home     Sitemap     Contact Us
Planning & Development
Contact Us
(503) 769-2998

Email the Planning Dept.
The City of Stayton is Open for Business...
The City of Stayton welcomes your business locating or expanding within the City.  Starting or expanding a business is exciting yet can be challenging.  As with any big life move you should seek legal and financial assistance to assure that you think through all of the risks and challenges.  Once you're ready to move forward there are a few basic items of which you need to be aware.
  • You will need to register any new business with the state of Oregon.  Business Oregon has a great website that provides a step by step guide to assist you in deciding what types of licenses and registrations may be required.  Again, check with your legal and financial adviser prior to selecting which type of business to form (limited liability company, sole proprietor, S-Corp, C-Corp, etc.).


  • Depending on the business type, you may be able to work out of your house or you may need to find office, retail or industrial space for your proposed business.  Before you sign a lease - we can't stress that enough - make sure that you contact the City's Community & Economic Development Department at (503) 769-2998 to make sure that your proposed use is permitted in the proposed location and to determine if any land use permits may be required.


  • If the space you intend to occupy was previously used for a different classification of use (was previously retail and you will have an office), then a Change of Use Permit will be required from the Planning and Development Office.  The Planning and Development Director will determine whether the new use is permitted by the City's Zoning and if the minimum off-street parking requirement is met.  A copy of the Change of Use application form may be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page.


  • The City of Stayton does not require a general business license, however there are certain business activities that do require a license from the City.  The following types of businesses require a license from the City:  carnivals, amusement parks, junk dealers, mobile food units (food trucks), and marijuana establishments.  In addition, a solicitor's license is required for any business activity that travels from place to place, offering to sell or taking orders for any goods or services, including the distribution of advertising materials.  A copy of the license application form may be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page.


  • The City Code permits many types of businesses to be conducted in your home in residential zones, but there are restrictions and standards to assure that impacts on your neighbors are minimized.  If you plan to operate a small business out of your home please review the City's Home Occupation standards at the bottom of the page to assure that you will meet the City's standards.


The Planning and Development Department maintains a list of vacant commercial and industrial properties, both available buildings and shop spaces as well as vacant land zoned for business use.  While there is no guarantee that our list is complete and up to date, every effort is taken to keep it as up to date as feasible.  Click on the link below for the most recent list.


There are a number of assistance resources available to small business owners or potential small business owners in Stayton.  Click the link below to learn more about support services.


Have questions about City regulations?  Call the Planning and Development Department at 503-769-2998 or email the Community & Economic Development Director.


    The link at the bottom of this tab provides a list of the vacant business locations within the City.  Inclusion on the list is not an indication that the property is available for sale or rent.  General descriptions are provided by the City of Stayton and may not be accurate.  Building or occupancy sizes are approximate.  For more information on any individual property, contact the Planning and Development Department.


    The link at the bottom of this tab provides a list of the vacant parcels within the City that are zoned for commercial or industrial use.  Inclusion on the list is not an indication that the property is available for sale, rent, or development.  If a property is being actively marketed, the name of the listing broker is included, when known.  For more information on any individual property, contact the Planning and Development Department.

    Locally Based Resources:
    Stayton-Sublimity Chamber of Commerce The member-driven business organization for the Stayton Area.   The Chamber’s mission is to promote a thriving business climate that enhances local economic vitality & community livability.
    Strategic Economic Development Corporation It is the mission of SEDCOR to leverage the strength of our Public/Private partnerships, aggressively retaining and attracting high value jobs and capital investment, while providing member services that support business success in Marion and Polk Counties.


    Chemeteka Community College Small Business Development CenterThe Small Business Development Center  offers a range of programs and services designed to help business owners improve management skills and the profitability of their business. Confidential, one-on-one business advising is available at no cost.
    Other Business Resources:
    WorkSource Oregon Employment Department This organization connects employers with qualified candidates.
    WorkSource Oregon Employment Department/Veterans Unit This special unit provides resources for veterans seeking employment.
    Bureau of Economic Analysis Find statistics and research on national, regional and industry-specific economic trends.
    US Census Bureau Find lots of useful information about demographics, as well as business, building, code, and employer data.


    Department of Labor This site provides access to the vast resources and information available to employers and employees through the Department of Labor.
    Small Business Administration Free online courses, business loans and grants, statistics, support and resources for starting and growing a new business, including special sections for women or minority owned businesses.
    US Patent and Trademark Office This site provides information on patenting, trademarking or copywriting anything, and allows users to search patents to make sure your idea is unique.
    Business.gov This resource provides compliance guides, information on business loans and grants, workplace posters, and industry-specific support.
    International Trade Administration  Information for companies planning to do international imports or exports.
    USA.Gov This is the United States main government Web site with links to other governmental agencies and lots of national information, including fuel prices, federal loan and grant information, federal taxes, information for nonprofit businesses, etc.
    Womenbiz.gov This resource helps women-owned businesses learn to contract with the Federal government.


    Minority Business Development Agency  This resource helps minority-owned businesses learn to contract with the Federal government and secure special financing.
    Federal Trade Commission  This Web site contains information about mergers, acquisitions, and purchases, as well as consumer information.
    EPA Small Business Innovation Research Program  This Web site helps small businesses in the technology and scientific fields secure grants to work on environmental research projects.
    National Women’s Business Council  Information for women business owners on mentoring, conferences and education, research and publications, and news.

    Resource Center for Women in Business  This resource center highlights valuable educational, career support and community resources to help women to gain more insight into business and entrepreneurship. The resource also offers financial aid and scholarship information, entrepreneurial funding opportunities, and networking opportunities with professional associations and organizations for women interested in furthering their career as a business professional or entrepreneur.

    Export.Gov  This Web site informs users on export laws, markets and regulations, and helps US businesses export.
    FDA- Starting a Food Business  Are you starting a business in the food industry? This is a must-read resource for you.
© City of Stayton, Oregon - All rights reserved.

powered by  ezTaskTitanium  TM